Tested with GlassFish v5.x and Apache Tomcat 5.5.20
2. Installation Instructions
The following applies to the Eclipse Implementation of XML Web Services standalone bundles.
Extract Eclipse Implementation of XML Web Services 3.0.0 bundle
To use with GlassFish
GlassFish contains Eclipse Implementation of XML Web Services within Metro package so no installation required.
For updating Eclipse Implementation of XML Web Services installation in GlassFish please refer to
To install on Tomcat
Set CATALINA_HOME to your
essentially copies lib/*.jar
from the root of Eclipse Implementation of XML Web Services
extracted bundle to
If you are running on top of JDK8, run
for detailed information.
If you intend to only invoke an already existing Web service,
then alternatively you can use the wsimport and
wsgen scripts in the bin
directory of the Eclipse Implementation of XML Web Services 3.0.0 bundle.
3. Running on top of JDK 8
JDK includes Jakarta XML Web Services and JAXB API and RI.
Eclipse Implementation of XML Web Services 3.0.0 includes RI of Jakarta XML Web Services/JAXB 2.3. In order to run
Eclipse Implementation of XML Web Services 3.0.0 you would need to specify ONLY
jakarta.xml.bind-api.jar jars using the Java
Endorsed Standards Override Mechanism
All the runtime jars +
If you run Eclipse Implementation of XML Web Services 3.0.0 with IBM JDK, there are two options:
to add Oracles's JAXP implementation jars along
to remove the saaj-impl.jar from the libraries in order IBM SAAJ implementation to be used
Eclipse Implementation of XML Web Services also depends on resolver implementation form JDK, which is not found on AIX. The repackaged resolver.jar can be found in the distribution, or Maven though.
First approach is recommended.
5. Current Limitations / Bugs / Issues
The java.util.Collection classes
cannot be used with rpc/literal or document/literal
BARE style due to a limitation in JAXB.
However, they do work in the default document/literal
Although Jakarta XML Web Services customizations are portable across
implementations, the names of WSDL and schema files generated
are not specified. Therefore each vendor may and most likely
will generate different names. Therefore, when switching
between implementations of Jakarta XML Web Services, it may be necessary to
modify your customization files to reflect different WSDL and
schema file names.
This holds true for different releases of the
Eclipse Implementation of XML Web Services. The Eclipse Implementation of XML Web Services
may in each release change these file names to resolve bugs.
If and when this does occur, a developer would need to change
the filenames in their customization files to match the new
* [JAX_WS-692] - WsImport fails if wsdl:message/wsdl:part defines "type" (not "element")
* [JAX_WS-713] - Document MTOM limitations
* [JAX_WS-1062] - wsimport command will throw NullPointerException when no difination of like "xmlns:undns="http://test"" in WSDL file.
* [JAX_WS-1064] - Need to use Filer when generating files
* [JAX_WS-1068] - Issue with two or more web services in the same war when pointing to wsdls in different META-INF/wsdl subdirs where the wsdl files themselves are the same.
* [JAX_WS-1074] - ClassCast exception when wsimport task run in a forked mode
* [JAX_WS-1083] - Error listenerStart Sep 27, 2012 12:02:48 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
* [JAX_WS-1087] - unable to delete .war file after wsimport completed
* [JAX_WS-1092] - Back Compatible issue, for method: com.sun.xml.ws.server.EndpointFactory.verifyImplementorClass
* [JAX_WS-1095] - Basic Authentication with wsimport does not allow @ in username
* [JAX_WS-1098] - IllegalAnnotationsException: 2 counts of IllegalAnnotationExceptions: MemberSubmissionEndpointReference$Address and W3CEndpointReference$Address
* [JAX_WS-1099] - com.sun.xml.ws.api.model.wsdl.WSDLModel.WSDLParser.parse error in parsering wsdl:message/wsdl:part defines "type" (not "element")
* [JAX_WS-1101] - wsimport authFile URL containing passwords should support encoded/escaped characters...
* [JAX_WS-1105] - wsgen fails to resolve all 'service implementation bean' methods
* [JAX_WS-1107] - httpproxy username and password not supported
* [JAX_WS-1118] - Broken links in the guide
* [JAX_WS-143] - wsimport does not support jaxb plugins
* [JAX_WS-261] - Make WSServletDelegate class public
* [JAX_WS-1100] - Allow wild card matching to allow the same user:password for all urls with the same host name
* [JAX_WS-1102] - jaxws should pass encoding option to jaxb
* [JAX_WS-1112] - Make JAX-WS run on Java SE 5.0 - fixed documentation to not refer to JDK5
* [JAX_WS-1042] - The documentation in http://jax-ws.java.net/2.2.5/docs/wsgenant.html is incorrect
* [JAX_WS-1080] - move build from ant to maven
* [JAX_WS-1082] - consider updating dependencies